Site Network: CONTACT MICK & MIKI |

 



Farewell ShibuMaku - A message to the students!

When Miki and I first thought of doing this challenge, it was a simple idea, with a simple goal, that would take us away for a year on our own simple little adventure. However the bigger it got, the more time it began to take up and so, looking down the barrel of what is going to be the biggest year of our lives, we decided at the beginning of the year to leave our jobs a little bit earlier in order prepare for what lay ahead.

As always with decisions like these, the end never seems that real until, that is, it's staring you in the face. And so it was, under a flurry of essay marking and number crunching, my end at ShibuMaku appeared. As a teacher, it is an end that you are never really prepared for, no matter how many times you have thought it over beforehand. And yet, as is the case with all of them, you know it has to come eventually. The students I taught here were often the best part of each and every day, and many possessed an uncanny ability to brighten the gloomiest of moods with a simple chat here or a word in a diary there. Such things are always forgotten in the day to day grind of being a teacher, however it always amazes me how you realize what you've got as soon as you know you are going to lose it. The many words of encouragement and the many thoughtful gifts will be more than enough motivation to keep our spirits high on the hardest of days this year.

To all of the students at ShibuMaku, and my classes especially, thanks for the great memories!!
Make sure you keep in touch this year throughout the challenge and let us know how you are getting along! You are the reason we are doing this challenge and you are as much a part of it as we are!

See you in a year!

posted by Mick and Miki Tan @ 8:28 PM,

5 Comments:

At April 5, 2009 at 8:57 AM, Blogger rena said...

Hi! This is Rena!
When I read this article I thought that I was going to cry:( School starts tomorrow but I can't imagine shibumaku without you! It will be sad not being able to see you for such a long time...
However, I hope that you will have a great time on this adventure(?) and that it will come to a success!
I was talking with Yuki Numata the other day about how we can get involved in this project. We thougt of many things to raise money as well as the idea of making something like a volunteering club so that many people from the school can join. It will be a great challenge for us and we don't know that it will really work yet but we will try our best. I am also thankful for this opportunity and I am looking foward to what we are going to do this year!
I hope you have a safe trip! We will miss you! (actually we already do...)
Good luck, Rena Sasahara

 
At April 13, 2009 at 4:06 AM, Blogger eR!kA said...

Hey,
Thank you SO much for the emotional article! It's only been a week since school's started and we ALL miss you already!

I hope that you'll always remember our "party" and don't forget to take that T-shirt with you on your challange!! I wish all the best and you HAVE to promise you'll be back to teach us again next year.

I'll keep track with you all the way through the challange! Good Luck! AND, looking forward to seeing you on Sport's Day (you are coming, right?)!

xoxo Erika Hioki

 
At April 13, 2009 at 7:04 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey hey you two! Thank you so much for the comments! They mean a lot! I do have to pop in to school a few times before we go and yes i will be there for Sports Festival! My favourite day of the year! If you use the contact button at the top of the page I will be able to send you an email more easily. Good Luck with the first term, and thanks again for your messages!

 
At April 18, 2009 at 12:56 AM, Blogger Kennyboi said...

Hey Mr. Tan~

This is Ken.
News Flash:I joined the rugby team!
Practice is pretty tough but im hanging on (MUSCLE PAIN!)

A new teacher (Ms. Holdsworth)is teaching what you used to teach. she isn't bad at all but classes just won't be the same without you.
Admit it, that was a good one.

Aaanyways.
I wish you the best and I'll be seeing you soon at the Sports festival thingy.
Keep in touch! :)

 
At April 21, 2009 at 6:34 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Ken!
It's about time you got back in to it! Well done! You may be able to bring back the running game to ShibuMaku! I look forward to having a run around the park with the team one of these days.
Be good!

See you at the sports day thingy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home